[arch-general] Brasero Wont Copy Disks

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon May 3 23:05:54 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 16:11 -0400, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> I just installed Brasero to burn / copy disks. I first added my user
> 'carlos' to the 'optical' group. However when I try and copy a disk on
> my machine, I get an immediate error that says it fails. Then when I
> save the log, it's blank. It has no details as to why the copy failed.
> Anyone know what I can do to resolve this and allow my machine to burn
> / copy disks? I know my optical drive is running fine because I booted
> from Ubuntu Live CD and was able to copy a disk fine.
>
> Thanks for any help!

You don't need to add yourself to the optical group. You need to have
polkit permissions for this. I don't know if brasero wants to elevate to
root permissions or if local console login registered with consolekit is
enough, but your error looks like you don't have a polkit authorization
agent installed. Try to install polkit-gnome and restart brasero, it
should come up with an authorization dialog.