[arch-general] Dev Jr Question

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed May 5 08:28:11 CEST 2010

On 05/05/10 01:55, Marcelo Alaniz wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new on this list, but not with Arch Linux, I've read in
> http://www.archlinux.org/news/496/ that you were or are looking for
> junior dev.
>
> I was thinking to apply to become a TU but now, I am not sure If it's
> better to apply to become dev jr, what will be the difference?.
>
> Is there any official announcement about new "dev jr" or something
> that you will show? any status or something?.
>
> Well just this curiosity, thanks for your time guys!

I'd say apply to be a TU if you think you have the skills to be one.  To
be thinking about applying to be a TU shows you have some interest in
bringing something into the [community] repo and being a TU gives you
much more freedom in this regard.   Also, unmaintained packages in
[extra] often get dropped to [community] when a TU is interested in
them.  We also look upon TUs favourably when wanting new devs, so you
really miss out on nothing.

Well, that is my advise anyway,  I also think that a lot of the lesser
used packages in [extra] should be moved to [community] and many more
popular packages in the AUR should be promoted.  That would work better
it the numbers of TUs swelled significantly so I encourage new applications.

Allan