[arch-general] Err... Why is gvim now conflicting with vim?

Burlynn Corlew Jr burlynn at gmail.com
Fri May 7 12:10:15 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Nathan Wayde <kumyco at konnichi.com> wrote:

> On 07/05/10 15:48, Burlynn Corlew Jr wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:04 AM, Johannes Held<mail at hehejo.de>  wrote:
>>
>>  http://www.archlinux.org/news/495/
>>>
>>> * If you have gvim installed, the update will inform you that vim
>>> conflicts
>>>  with gvim. This is the expected behavior. Installation of vim and gvim
>>>  separately is no longer required, the gvim package now installs vim as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gruß, Johannes
>>> http://hehejo.de
>>>

>> This is a rolling release, not an LTS. There is no excuse to not be
>> updating
>> regularly and reading the news. If its a production machine and you are
>> worried about breakage maybe you shouldnt be running arch on it. The ML,
>> forums, and irc are full of people who refuse to read the news or update
>> regularly, and we all waste time answering questions that with proper arch
>> maintenance would ensure that they never come up.
>>
>>  Really dude? you complain about him wasting time when you could find the
> time to dig up some old mail that was answered ages ago to attack the guy
> for asking questions?
>
> I'm sure we can all agree that it's important for an Arch user to be more
> independent and put more effort into solving our own problem but did you
> know you can simply ignore any of these questions?
>
> It doesn't take any effort since the bulk of the issue was already in the
> title.
>
> To be honest I simply cannot take this kind of negativity. I would really
> like for this kind of attitude to stay away from Arch because it's not nice
> and it's the very thing I hate about the Linux community in general.

First off it wasnt mail, it was headline archlinux.org news. Secondly, for
me to expect people to use the resources Arch provides to resolve issues is
not crazy, and this is one issue among many dealing with the same thing. If
you refuse to read and stay updated why should any of us bother with
helping? Its spam that could be avoided with proper practices. We are not
here to babysit. If you dont like the principles arch runs with, use another
distro. That is not negativity but an expectation that you are using the
distro the way it is intended.