[arch-general] PKGBUILD parser

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Mon May 10 14:21:44 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Pierre Chapuis <catwell at archlinux.us> wrote:

> "Andre "Osku" Schmidt" <andre.osku.schmidt at googlemail.com> a écrit :
>
>>> A regular
>>> expression will never be able to parse that.because it can never decide
>>> which brace is the final one. This might be better explained here.
>>>
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/133601/can-regular-expressions-be-used-to-match-nested-patterns
>>
>>thank you. i'll continue my journey on parsing this another way.
>
> Actually if you read the page linked above completely you will notice that it says that you can. Regexps like POSIX that use finite automata can't but PCRE (that are everywhere) can, at least recent versions. That's also why they are slower.

yes via a "recursive" expression.  another option would be to use a
multipass setup (i havent looked at the OP's code) to break the
problem into smaller chunks instead of trying to to it all in one
expression (i.e. use an expression to count the braces/etc. and build
another expression dynamically based off the results of the first)