[arch-general] pkg-proxy ?

Gregory Eric Sanderson gzou2000 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 13:22:57 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Rogutės Sparnuotos <rogutes at googlemail.com
> wrote:

> Andre Osku Schmidt (2010-05-16 13:33):

> > > You would need (AFAIK) to install some packages first to start using
> it.

> > > Not that I'm aware off. Talk to Xyne.
> > >
> > > Perhaps you'd just want to set up your own mirror. There's projects for
> > > that as well in the AUR, just search.
> >
> > do you mean a general mirroring tool ?
> > as i didn't found anything pkg specific mirror tool...
> >
> > and wouldn't a mirror tool require my server to have ALL
> > core/extra/community packages ? how big are those repos ?
> <...>
>
> I don't really remember your initial question, but I use one package
> directory for 3 computers by simply having a central /var/cache/pacman,
> which I then mount read-write with samba. To use it from the installer,
> you would have to install 'smbclient' after booting.

That solution is also mentioned on the wiki, but I see 2 disadvatages to
mounting /var/cache/pacman through the network.
1. If you're on a laptop and not at home, you don't have access to your
packages, and If you want to install packages anyway you have to manually
unmount, install, and remove the packages from the directory to to cause
problems for when it will be remounted.
2. Although rare, if or have frequent network connectivity problems (for
example, your connection goes dead in the middle of copying a file) then it
becomes a hassle

--
"All musicians are drug addicts, no question about it. The ecstasy we get
during a concert is proof enough.

Will
et/ou
Gregory Eric Sanderson Turcot Temlett MacDonnell Forbes
et/ou
Touffa!  :)