[arch-general] Question regarding the ArchLinux iso core image

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue May 18 05:56:15 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 05:37:38PM +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:

> > Does anyone agree/disagree with my idea on the proper way to install Arch? :D
> > Regards, --Keith
> >
> I disagree. Some of us do not have fast/reliable internet connections,
> and would rather postpone the search for reliable download speeds till
> after the machine is bare-bones working (can boot, has network,
> basically has all of core) instead of in between the install process.

I agree (with Ng Oon-Ee). In one of the situations I work in
the install is going through an http proxy that systematically
corrupts some packages (always the same, IIRC perl, man-pages,
and another one), making the netinstall fail. No chance to get
this fixed, unless you have months of time to waste discussing
with city IT officials who think that Linux is evil.
Once a basic system is set up it's possible to work around this,
with the installer it isn't.

Ciao,

--
FA