[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] kernel 2.6.34-1

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue May 18 10:28:43 EDT 2010

Am 18.05.2010 16:06, schrieb Evangelos Foutras:
> In particular, notice Alex's reply stating:
>
> --8<--------------------------------------------------------------------
> In general, microcode is slowly being moved out of the kernel and into
> the Linux firmware tree:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git;a=tree
> Eventually all of the radeon microcode will end up out up in that tree.
> --8<--------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I'm not sure what this means for our kernel26-firmware package, but I
> believe we would want to ship the files included in the "Linux firmware
> tree".

No, we don't. We want to and will ship all the firmware files that are
included in the current Linux release (make install_firmware).

If the developers are not capable of ensuring that the driver and
firmware versions in the Linux releases work together, that is a bug on
their end. In this case, it seems they move code out of the radeon
driver more quickly than into the firmware files - I am not willing to
fix this screwup for them.