[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] kernel 2.6.34-1

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue May 18 11:55:12 EDT 2010

Am 18.05.2010 17:26, schrieb Evangelos Foutras:
> I see your point. It seems that upstream kernel developers don't wish to
> ship firmware files, which is... not ideal for downstream (e.g. Arch).

That is weird. Many other firmware files are being shipped with Linux
and it would make sense here.

> However, these firmware files are needed for R600/R700/Evergreen cards
> [1], therefore I see two options:
>
> 1) radeon_ucode [2] can be brought to [extra] and an announcement added
> to the front page informing users about this. (The package should also
> be renamed to radeon-ucode in order for it to be consistent with the
> rest of the firmware packages.)

This sounds like a good idea. This could even be included in core AND
installed on the installation ISO. Andy, this seems like your area, what
do you think?

> 2) Alternately, the radeon firmware files could be included in the
> kernel26-firmware package.

I don't like that, as the kernel26-firmware package is supposed to ship
the firmware files included in the Linux source.

> I like the first option better because it keeps things separate.

Agreed.