[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] kernel 2.6.34-1

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Tue May 18 16:59:38 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Nezmer <arch at nezmer.info> wrote:
> FYI, I had this discussion with the radeon guys months ago in IRC.
> Apparently, kernel guys (maybe Linus) decided to not add new firmware
> files to the kernel tree. That's why we have all those firmware packages
> for in-tree modules.

Depending on what direction the kernel guys have taken, there is
another option worth considering. If firmware is now only added to a
separate repository, namely linux-firmware.git [1], it probably
wouldn't be a bad idea to switch our kernel firmware package to that
[2]. Fedora has done something similar with their linux-firmware [3]
package.

Anyway, I'm not really sure what the best course of action is here.
The above option does seem like a more general and future-proof
solution to this kind of issues. As a bonus, it also covers several
Intel wireless cards, thus making their respective -ucode packages [4]
in [core] redundant.

@Devs: The final decision is yours. :)

[1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git;a=summary
[2] http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/dwmw2/firmware/