[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] kernel 2.6.34-1

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue May 18 19:10:22 EDT 2010

Am 19.05.2010 00:47, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Am 18.05.2010 21:49, schrieb Nezmer:
>> FYI, I had this discussion with the radeon guys months ago in IRC.
>> Apparently, kernel guys (maybe Linus) decided to not add new firmware
>> files to the kernel tree. That's why we have all those firmware packages
>> for in-tree modules.
>
> So, they ship firmware files with the kernel, but only SOME firmware
> files? And arbitrarily, others are not being shipped? In particular, old
> ones are shipped, and new ones aren't? This annoys me already - but
> before I start any discussion, I want to have a source for that. It
> might be time to annoy the lkml with this.

Okay, this is confusing. It seems that linux-firmware is a superset of
the firmware in kernel26 and includes lots of files, including the intel
iwlwifi firmware and the ralink firmware.

This file lacks some conflicts/provides, but you should be able to
install it instead of kernel26-firmware.
http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/linux-firmware-git-20100519-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

Let me know what you think. Also, there have been some reports about
missing ralink firmware files, those might be in here as well.