[arch-general] Fwd: AIF through proxy

Andre "Osku" Schmidt andre.osku.schmidt at googlemail.com
Fri May 21 20:15:31 EDT 2010

curse you gmail!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andre "Osku" Schmidt <andre.osku.schmidt at googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, May 21, 2010 at 10:41 PM
Subject: Re: [arch-general] AIF through proxy
To: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be>

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2010 22:19:18 +0200
> "Andre \"Osku\" Schmidt" <andre.osku.schmidt at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Arch,
>>
>> is anyone using the arch installer with squid proxy ?
>> (or any other cache proxy)
>>
>> i'm again so close my goal that it makes me nervous :)
>>
>> - squid installed on the host machine, 192.168.0.35:3128
>> - vbox client in the same machine, network bridged
>>
>> after login in the arch 2010.05 image (as vbox client) i do:
>> # dhcpcd eth0
>> # export ftp_proxy='192.168.0.35:3128'
>> # export http_proxy='192.168.0.35:3128'
>> # pacman -Syu
>>
>> and it works, it gets the db from the proxy cache, and also updates
>> pacman from there  (i see it in the squid logs, and download speed).
>> everything works ok.
>>
>> then i tried to use the attached pacinst.aif file as profile for aif
>> -p automatic installation and i get the attached aif.log...
>> (it fails on getting the core.db.tar.gz)
>
> no attachment?

hmm, i see them in my gmail client... yeah. im lazy :)
but what ever, here:
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/216751/
http://paste.pocoo.org/raw/216759/

>> i cant attach any debug.log cause `aif -p automatic -c pacinst.aif -d
>> -l` doesnt create any /var/log/aif/debug.log and `aif -d -l -p
>> automatic -c pacinst.aif`
> can you try an absolute path for pacinst.aif?

same invalid URL scheme error

>> just gives me the usage info, without any
>> errors... and also the "Invalid URL scheme" errors that i see in tty7
>> are nowhere to find in /var/log/*
>
> what i would do in a case like this is just monitor the output of
> 'pstree' to see which processes is running (ie wget, pacman, ..), then
> you can debug the networking issue from there.

oooh! you learn new things every day :)
super tip. thanks! i got something, maybe

pstree shows (when it hangs in url scheme error)
aif /sbin/aif -p automatic -c /root/pacinst.aif -d -l
 |--pacman --root /mnt --config /tmp/pacman.conf -Sy

and as according to some forum post (and it seems to work only with
this) i had to uncomment:
XferCommand = /usr/bin/wget ...
in /etc/pacman.conf to get pacman to work on the installer image
console. and now looking at the /tmp/pacman.conf, this option is
missing.

but as i assumed (and test showed) the /tmp/pacman.conf gets newly
generated on every aif run. so i cant edit that.

what file could i edit to get that xfercommand in /tmp/pacman.conf

(this looks even closer, OMG! /me is crossing fingers... :)