[arch-general] Off-topic: Good laptop to run Arch on?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat May 22 11:33:36 EDT 2010

It's that time for me again... my desktop is getting long in the tooth so I'm
starting to look around for a replacement.  This time I thought I'd also
include laptops in my search.  However, with laptops it's difficult to find
out just how well they work with Linux.  Are all the built-in devices,
webcams, fingerprint scanners etc, fully supported?  Is the power management
(ACPI) fully supported?  Etc, etc...

In the past I've heard good things about Linux on IBM's ThinkPads.  But I've
heard some VERY bad things about getting Linux working well on Lenovo's recent
models.

So, I resort to ask for advice on this mailing list.

What laptops should I have a look at?
Is there some brand (Dell, HP, ...) that is more Linux friendly than others?

/M