[arch-general] new pc; keep arch installation?

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Tue May 25 09:46:44 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm going to get a new pc, replacing my now more than 5 years old pc. I
would like to keep my current arch installation, and hope to prevent the
need to do a full reinstall. I like the software I have, and I like the
configuration I have...

Could I just put my old harddisk (which is relatively new and still OK,
I have SMART enabled) in the new pc and reboot?

Both are amd 64 bit cpu's, the old one one of the first athlon 64's, the
new one a Phenom II X6 1035T (and my current arch linux install is 64bit)

Of course stuff like chipset, network chip, video etc. are all
different. For video that would be no problem, I could install other
(current = nvidia, new pc = ati) drivers from the text console. However,
I'd like basic stuff and network to work :-)

Could anyone give me an idea about the chance of luck for such an
operation? Tips, hints? Or would you just advise a clean install and
install and reconfigure all software again?

Regards,
Vincent Schut.