[arch-general] new pc; keep arch installation?

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Tue May 25 13:42:27 EDT 2010

On 25/05/10 16:58, Jan de Groot wrote:
> Linux is not Windows, so you'll get away with it. You could put the
> harddisk in your new system and boot the new system with the fallback
> kernel option which includes an initramfs image with all drivers. You'll
> probably have to reconfigure X then.
> After booting the fallback kernel, it's advised to regenerate your
> initramfs images using mkinitcpio, or by just reinstalling kernel26.
>
> My Archlinux installation survived multiple mainboards and harddisks,
> it's years old by now.

This. Boot the fallback kernel and adjust stuff (/etc/rc.conf, Xorg's
settings, etc) as necessary.

I did the same last month when I changed the motherboard, processor and
RAM in my system and went from an Intel rig to AMD. Then I only had to
replace the acpi-cpufreq entry in the MODULES array in /etc/rc.conf with
powernow-k8 to get frequency scaling to work with the new processor and
install the driver for the ATi Radeon integrated graphics (which
replaced an NVIDIA card).

Should be easy and straightforward. :)