[arch-general] [signoff] kernel26 2.6.35.8-1 (BUG - x86_64 Fails to Boot - see closed bug 20918)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Nov 2 05:14:58 CET 2010

On 11/01/2010 04:56 PM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> These error are semi-random, they probably depend on where the kernel
> and initramfs files are physically located in the file system. It seems
> that about every second kernel works for you.
>
> Grub (and all other bootloaders for that matter) use BIOS calls to
> access files on the hard drive - they rely on the BIOS (and in your
> case, the jmicron dmraid BIOS) for file access. This access seems to
> fail for certain areas on your file system.

Thomas,

	I think you are right. This MSI box runs like greased lightning when it boots,
but I think the board/chipset/bios design is weak. I've got the June 2010 bios
installed, but it has not been consistent with kernel changes. Hopefully the
redhat guys will be able to find out why the controller is having init issues.
Thanks for your help and I'll report what I find.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC