[arch-general] Replace dcron once again?

Thorsten Töpper atsutane at freethoughts.de
Sun Nov 7 22:09:35 CET 2010

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 21:09:12 +0100
Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Am Sun, 7 Nov 2010 13:57:50 -0500
> schrieb Kaiting Chen <kaitocracy at gmail.com>:
>
> > I think fcron is kind of heavy for most users. I'd rather we switch
> > to cronie, which is the descendent of vixie-cron. It's developed by
> > RedHat, well maintained, supports PAM and SELinux and can be built
> > with anacron features.
>
> I disagree with Kaiting, because cronie doesn't have anacron features.
>
> If it's compiled with --enable-anacron there is no anacron feature
> compiled into cronie. Instead there is a separate anacron daemon
> compiled and that makes it unnecessarily complicated in using and
> configuring it. And people who need anacron features have to run two
> daemons and configure two daemons.
>
> With fcron you have all in one and need to run and configure only one
> daemon. And fcron is by far not bloated and complicated to configure.
> Instead there are several ways to configure fcron like crontab,
> scripts in /etc/cron.{daily,weekly,monthly} and in /etc/cron.d. And
> to use anacron features you only need to prefix a crontab entry with
> an @.
>
> So I think fcron is much more flexible, much easier to configure and
> to use than cronie, and has features for rather every use case.
>
> And, please, don't make such a regression again.
>
> Btw., cronie is in AUR since May and still has only 1 vote while fcron
> is proven to run very well since years.
>
> Heiko

I agree with Heiko and Florian, I myself am using fcron since spring
and moved at my machines(including VMs that run more often) one after
another to fcron and I'm happy with it. It's easy to configure, comes
with the default jobs (=runs /etc/cron.{daily,weekly,monthly}/*) and
thus if for a user who doesn't do much with cron nothing to worry
about, everyone else gets next to the default possibilities several
features that are really helpful. Furthermore it is well documented,
so even people who begin to play with cronjobs have a spot where they
can look for information and get an answer almost for sure.

Thorsten
--
Jabber: atsutane at freethoughts.de Blog: http://atsutane.freethoughts.de/
Key: 295AFBF4     FP: 39F8 80E5 0E49 A4D1 1341 E8F9 39E4 F17F 295A FBF4