[arch-general] [rc.d/network] Integrate wpa_supplicant as wireless framework?

Gerhard Brauer gerhard.brauer at web.de
Tue Nov 9 14:55:53 CET 2010

Hi,

our current default wireless framework in base /e/rc.d/network
script is iwconfig (Open/WEP only). I like to integrate
wpa_supplicant as easy as we could use iwconfig ATM.

iwconfig is a useless framework in most user environments in these
days (most AP's have a stronger encryption than WEP'), but it is a
"easy" tool.

Two possibilities:
a) Throw away iwconfig(wireless-tools package) from rc.d/network and
use wap_supplicant only. wpa_supplicant could of course do all the
things iwconfig is for.

b) Let the user decide wihich wireless framework. This could be done
by seperate /e/conf.d/wireless from wireless_tools and add therin
config options for each iwconfig and wpa_supplicant.
Ex.:
--------------------
#wlan_eth0="iw|eth0 mode managed essid default"
#wlan_wlan0="wpas|<wpa_supp options -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf>"

#WLAN_INTERFACES=(eth0 wlan0)
-------------------------
So /e/rc.d/network->wi_up() has to be modified to honor also
wpa_supplicant.

For both ways /e/wpa_supplicant.conf should get modified to a
cleaner default config (Most comments and examples). We should
provide a config file with activated entries for OPEN wlan and WEP
connections (User has to modify WEP essid and key), and also a
deactivated entry for common WPA2/PSK wlan(User has to modify and
activate this for his/her needs).

The advantage of using wpa_supplicant at least in addition to
iwconfig is IMHO the easy and straightforward integration in our
network settings (r.conf and conf.d/wireless). No need for extra
packages like Netcfg, wicd, networkmanager to associate to WPA
infrastructure (but could be used by users if they want their
"funcionality"").

What do you think about?

Regards
        Gerhard "gerbra"