[arch-general] [aur-general] [extra] repository cleanup

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Wed Nov 10 12:43:28 CET 2010

Am Wed, 10 Nov 2010 11:33:32 +0100
schrieb Andrea Scarpino <andrea at archlinux.org>:

> Hi DEVs/TUs,
> currently we have 700 (counting both arches and any) orphans packages
> in [extra].
> As member of the orphans team, I made a list[1] of these packages and
> I'd like to move them to Unsupported.
> If some DEV wants to keep a package simply cross it out (adoption is
> not required, but it would be nice) or reply to this mail.
> If some TU wants to maintain a package in [community], please write
> the name into the "Candidate to [community]" section, *DO NOT* cross
> it out. Or reply to this mail.
>
> I think that a week is enough time for this job. 17th November I will
> move the remaining packages to Unsupported and the candidates to
> [community].
>
> Cheers
>
> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Repo_Cleanup

You should really think about that. There are many of the most
important, oldest and best known packages in this list like dia, ding,
xboard, eboard, epdfview, slmodem etc.

In other words, your list is likely the half of the distro.

If you would put all of them to AUR then you could give up Arch Linux,
because then it has almost no advantage over Gentoo, that is, then will
Arch Linux become a second Gentoo, because the users will have to
compile a lot of (most of the) important packages manually.

And the reason why I switched from Gentoo to Arch Linux about 3 or 4
years ago after using Gentoo for about 6 years was that I was sick of
compiling everything and that Arch Linux was a binary distribution.

So if you would really do this clean up and move all these packages to
AUR then I could and most likely would switch back to Gentoo.

So really, please, reconsider your idea of doing this massive and
pointless cleanup.

Btw., ding was updated recently.

Heiko