[arch-general] Replace dcron once again?

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Fri Nov 12 05:02:05 CET 2010

On 11/11/10 20:26, Alex Matviychuk wrote:
> Thanks to this thread I decided to look at both dcron and fcron. First
> google result for dcron led me to this:

(As Loui noted, many of those points are changed by the passage of seven
years. Distros probably use different crons now; and fcron has improved
in the meantime; and dcron might have changed, I'm not sure.)

> anyone in our userbase that could take a look at the dcron code? As
> far as updates, I wouldn't expect a basic mature package to be updated
> more than once or twice a year. Update frequency alone says nothing
> about the quality of the code.

I dispute that something that doesn't always schedule jobs at the
frequency the user requests (this user often being root) -- and that we
as a community don't even understand when/why -- is secure.

(It leaves me somewhat wondering about mature too, if no one's noticed
(or fixed anyhow) this bug before.  I wouldn't assume it's the only bug
(although it might be).)

-Isaac