[arch-general] Could python2 be breaking genpkgmetadata.py?

Gergely Imreh imrehg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 06:46:50 CET 2010

On 12 November 2010 13:32, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
>        I'm using yum-createrepo 0.9.8-3 on from AUR and suddenly my createrepo updates
> on my Arch server are failing with the following error:
>
> 23:22 nirvana:/home/backup/rpms> sudo createrepo --update -d openSUSE_11.3/
>  File "/usr/share/createrepo/genpkgmetadata.py", line 189
>    print thing
>              ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Not bug, change.
Print is now a function in Python 3, i.e. one has to use print(thing)
instead of the previous form.
http://docs.python.org/release/3.0.1/whatsnew/3.0.html

Most likely either change the call in beginning of the script to
python2 instead of python, or roll up the sleeves and start converting
to the new version (python 2to3 should help
http://docs.python.org/library/2to3.html )

Cheers,
    Greg