[arch-general] Could python2 be breaking genpkgmetadata.py?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Nov 12 18:44:28 CET 2010

On 11/12/2010 12:47 AM, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> Out of curiosity, David, I know you're on the ML quite often, how could
> you NOT realize all the python update emails and complaints going
> around?

Err.. (sheepishly) -- python to me is a snake. So while I did see the emails
about the python issues, etc.. -- they didn't register any alarm bells until the
snake turned around and bit me :p

So what's the consensus, change all the #!/usr/bin/python to #!/usr/bin/python2
in the scripts giving errors? I know nobody wants me hacking the scripts to try
and move them to python 3 (especially me...)

Currently the guys on the createrepo list (rpm-metadata) haven't even ported
createrepo to python 3, so I guess the fix would be to fix the executable line.

But on how many packages? Just the ones that are breaking or is there some set
of base packages I should backup and the do a 'perl -p -i -e
s/bin\/python/bin\/python2/' on?

I should learn more python, but there are only so many hours in the day, and I
can usually do what I need in BASH, c or perl anyway :)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC