[arch-general] abs [WAS: arch-dev-public] Package maintainers wanted - heimdal, db, abs

csgeek csgeek at archlinux.us
Fri Nov 12 22:56:02 CET 2010

Somewhat related question....

I've seen a few places deploy git based build systems.

funtoo (re-implementation of gentoo's portage but git based) and the arch
based that was linked above.

I'm just curious.. at some point wouldn't that just create excessive history
that's not needed?  Do you really care about PKGBUILD of something that's
2..3.... 5 years out of date?

Then again.. if we could use something like that.. to checkout an old
version of a package, that would be well worth it.  One thing that was
available in gentoo that I miss in arch is the ability to have 2-3 version
of a package available.

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 06:59:20PM +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> > Wasn't there a successor or replacement to abs in the works? A git-based
> > one, I believe? (maybe I'm creating false memories?)
> >
> > On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 16:40 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>
> Perhaps you were thinking of:
>
>  https://github.com/str1ngs/abs
>
> And iirc, there's been at least 2 conversations on this list about
> switching to git from svn for the packages repo itself.

csgeek