[arch-general] abs [WAS: arch-dev-public] Package maintainers wanted - heimdal, db, abs

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun Nov 14 01:30:06 CET 2010

On 14/11/10 03:23, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Ray Rashif<schiv at archlinux.org>  wrote:
>
>> PKGBUILDs don't get multiple commits by multiple
>> contributors to the extent software projects do, where GIT would make
>> sense.
>
> they will in time my friend, if i get my way :-) this is a goal i am
> actively pursuing.  git makes sense in all capacities; you don't need
> to be a kernel or display server to realize the extent it can simplify
> your development life.  i use it every day.  it rocks.

We have massive git proponents on the development team and even they
admit that SVN fits our needs for package management far better than git.

The major issue is checking out an individual folder/package which is
very annoying to do in git.  Yes, I know it can be done in some hackish
way, but with SVN that works out of the box.  Or we could take the
Fedora approach of one repo per package (lets just say no to that...).

Also, we do not need "fancy" stuff like branching and hooks etc.  The
current system works very well.  We would need some major motivation to
switch and there is nothing that even makes me remotely think a switch
is worth it.

Allan