[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Boot loaders in core/base

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Sat Nov 20 16:15:36 CET 2010

Am Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:38:33 +0100
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:

> I don't think it's a good idea to maintain that many bootloaders in
> core. grub-legacy is unmaintained, lilo has a very old-school design
> and major disadvantages. We could keep grub2, but it seems it isn't
> really stable yet.

That's what I mean. There's unfortunately not an allrounder, yet. One
old and unmaintained, one still older bootloader, one newer and
maintained but still unstable and one newer and maintained with not so
many supported filesystems.

So I'm not sure if it's the best for now to having every bootloader in
[core]. Of, course the best would be if there would be one real good,
stable and by upstream actively maintained bootloader so that there's
no need for other ones.

Heiko