[arch-general] Acceptable for AIF to copy files?

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun Nov 21 22:12:40 CET 2010

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 15:06:10 -0500
Matthew Gyurgyik <pyther at pyther.net> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I want to add extlinux support in AIF. However, unlike grub, where
> grub-install takes care of everything, extlinux
> requires /boot/syslinux to be created and some files
> from /usr/lib/syslinux to be copied to /boot/syslinux.
>
> Initially I though that creating a extlinux pkg that would include
> the needed file in /boot would be a good idea. Needless to say, there
> is mixed opinion on this. See link for more info:
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21766
>
> So...
>
> Is it acceptable for AIF to create /boot/syslinux and copy files from
> /usr/lib/syslinux to /boot/syslinux?
>
> Do we only want to let pacman and upstream install tools create
> directories and copy files during the install process?
>
> ~pyther

Remember that AIF is basically a bunch of scripts that save you doing
manual work during the installation.
I have no strong opinion about how exactly those files should be
handled, but if it's decided that "the user should copy them as part of
the configuration process" then sure, aif can do it.  Because aif does
its work on behalf of the user.

Feel free to get in touch on the arch-releng mailing list if you have
any questions about aif itself (or find me on irc)

Dieter