[arch-general] PulseAudio in [testing]

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Fri Nov 26 21:56:29 CET 2010

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 21:34:18 +0100, Jan Steffens
<jan.steffens at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've put PulseAudio into [testing] some time ago, but received no
> feedback on this.
>
> This either means it works well, or nobody uses it.
>
> So I'm asking for it now, especially from GNOME and KDE users running
> PulseAudio.

I tested it a while on KDE and as expected it has downsides compared to
using plain alsa. :-) I lost all controls in kmix except of only one
volume control. Xine based players like e.g. Dragonplayer just crash.
But Smplayer is a way better and didn't had any problems.

In general I don't see any need to use pulse-audio; except Gnome users
who wont have any choice in future. But I guess some day it will just
work without problems; atm pulse audio support is in early state in some
apps.

I am still happy to have my good old Soundblaster Live which does
mixing in hardware. ;-)