[arch-general] PulseAudio in [testing]

Yaro Kasear yaro at marupa.net
Sun Nov 28 04:24:11 CET 2010

On Sun, 2010-11-28 at 11:17 +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 18:21 -0600, Yaro Kasear wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-11-28 at 08:18 +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> > > Just don't use Gnome. Upstream is going to make Pulseaudio default. KDE
> > > as well, maybe.
> > >
> > I don't see KDE upstream doing that. They have Phonon. What's more, most
> > KDE apps today count on Phonon being there. KDE upstream won't do that
> > without expecting to break KDE.
>
> Admittedly my view on this is skewed, since I follow PA's development
> pretty closely, but one of the devs on PA (Colin Guthrie) has mentioned
> getting various patches he's done for Mandriva's KDE implementation such
> that KDE's mixer and such supports pulseaudio natively. Phonon would
> output directly to pulse in that case, I believe.

The point of which would be what exactly? All due respect, Phonon is
already a sound daemon. To output sound through a sound daemon into
ANOTHER sound daemon, particularly one as poor as Pulse Audio, is
begging for latency and who knows how many other problems.

And, again, it's redundant and unnecessary since Phonon's already a good
sound daemon on its own merits.