[arch-general] PulseAudio in [testing]

Sander Jansen s.jansen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 17:49:30 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 6:21 AM, Damjan Georgievski <gdamjan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've put PulseAudio into [testing] some time ago, but received no
>> feedback on this.
>>
>> This either means it works well, or nobody uses it.
>>
>> So I'm asking for it now, especially from GNOME and KDE users running
>> PulseAudio.
>
> Great work Jan,
> it seems your updates have eliminated all the *-pulse packages I had
> from AUR (except the kde mixer for now).
>
> It would be a good time to post a news article about these changes. It
> should explain the reasons for the change, the fact that without the
> "pulseaudio" package the server is not installed and can't be started
> EVER, and also how this obsoletes packages from AUR (on my count:
> mplayer-pulse, xine-lib-pulse, phonon-pulse, libao-pulse,
> gstreamer*-pulse, what else?).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if pulseaudio is installed, I believe you
should be able to prevent it from starting by removing the dbus
activation files:

etc/xdg/
etc/xdg/autostart/
etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio-kde.desktop
etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop

(unless pulse has some other way of auto-starting the daemon)

Cheers,

Sander