[arch-general] Opinions on pulseaudio [WAS: PulseAudio in [testing]]

Ulf Winkelvos ulf at winkelvos.de
Tue Nov 30 00:14:16 CET 2010

On 29.11.2010 23:25, "Jérôme M. Berger" wrote:
> Morgan Gangwere wrote:
>> As well, Pulse still doesn't work on my Alienware laptop. Realtek
>> chipset, hda_intel picks it up as being generic. things almost work,
>> except headphones. PA will only let sound go through the front
>> speakers, while ALSA just has a switch. Its a known WONTFIX bug, too.
>>
> 	This bug is even worse for me: the only output that PA will
> recognize on my system is the HDMI output from my *video* card! I
> don't have any HDMI capable peripheral to even try to hear it! Alsa
> outputs to my true sound card without any problem...
>
> 		Jerome

did you try manual driver loading? in /etc/pulse/default.pa:

### Load audio drivers statically (it's probably better to not load
### these drivers manually, but instead use module-hal-detect --
### see below -- for doing this automatically)
load-module module-alsa-sink
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
#load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output
source_name=input
#load-module module-null-sink
#load-module module-pipe-sink

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
#.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
#load-module module-udev-detect
#.else
### Alternatively use the static hardware detection module (for systems that
### lack udev support)
#load-module module-detect
#.endif