[arch-general] RPM Question

Lew Wolfgang wolfgang at sweet-haven.com
Sun Oct 3 17:21:28 EDT 2010

  On 10/03/2010 01:29 PM, Dan Vrátil wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 12:19:30 -0700, Lew Wolfgang
> <wolfgang at sweet-haven.com>  wrote:
>> On 10/03/2010 11:11 AM, Dan Vrátil wrote:

>>> What about setting up a simple tiny chroot just for this application?
>>>

>> That's an interesting idea, Dan.  But since this package is supposed
>> to install itself like a cancer in the OS, it wouldn't be able to
>> perform its function in a chroot.  The Windows version of this thing
>> is intended to remove local administrative privileges so that the
>> machine can be completely managed remotely.  It can prevent unapproved
>> programs from being loaded, and can disable installed programs that it
>> has an issue with.  Indeed, it disabled non-current versions of Adobe
>> Acrobat a couple of weeks ago.  It also has an IPS function to monitor
>> and disable network traffic it finds threatening.  It can enforce
>> password polices and can report what a user is doing and what web
>> sites they're visiting.   It can sniff network configurations and
>> report dual-homed hosts, natted subnets are also disallowed.   I'm
>> sure it does much more.  I've been told that the Linux/Apple versions
>> only report at this time, the more intrusive capabilities aren't yet
>> implemented.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lew
> Well it is just an application, not a kernel module or so, so in my
> opinion
> it does not matter if it runs in chroot or not, as it can only obtain
> datas
> from some /proc, /sys and /dev files and these can be made available
> in the chroot via mount (e.g. by mounting the real folders to the
> chroot).
> What I want to say is, that the application can have access to all the
> informations
> it wants, but it will just be installed separately from your beloved
> Arch.

Hi Dan,

Interesting.  I wonder how one would do this?  Since the package depends on RPM,
could that be installed in a jail and not interfere with pacman?  Or would most of a
second OS need to live in the jail?  Can you install a full-up Fedora or openSuSE in
a jail?  The jail would need access to the main /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files,
wouldn't that be rather difficult to set up?  A chroot that has full access to /?
Interesting to contemplate...

Regards,
Lew