[arch-general] RPM Question

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Oct 4 00:41:59 EDT 2010

On 10/02/2010 08:10 PM, Steven Susbauer wrote:
> On 10/2/2010 7:41 PM, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
>> It works on all the major distros but fails to install
>> on Arch due to an RPM dependency. Their install script just fails saying
>> it can't find rpm. The script contains much ugliness and is McAfee
>> proprietary, so I doubt hacking it will be productive.
>>
>> So the question is: can Arch be configured/tricked into an rpm install?

Lew, good to see you here. I have just created a step-by-step howto and building
and installing rpm/yum/yum-createrepo/etc... on arch just a few weeks ago. I
still manage my suse repos on my Arch server.

I'll have to switch drives to grab the notes, but I'll post back if I can't find
it with a quick google:

Ahah! Found it:

http://www.pubbs.net/201009/archlinux/21794-arch-general-installing-createreporepoview-on-arch-linux.html

This lays out which packages you need to get from AUR and build with 'makepkg
-s' in the order you need to install them to get rpm and the yum-metadata-parser
installed on arch. (there is also a patch from the rpm upstream guys to deal
with the weird tokens suse still uses in packaging.

(for some reason the site messes up the urls to the AUR packages, I'll shoot you
my saved copy with good links)

This howto will get rpm5 and all the goods installed on your Arch box. I haven't
tried an 'rpm install' on arch, as the spec2arch script that generates the arch
PKGBUILD which you then use (while in the same directory) by simply typing
'makepkg -s' to build the arch package for whatever you are installing.

I left rpm installs with suse and use pacman with Arch. It's simple and (works
almost identical to zypper from a user standpoint). But I do still maintain my
11.0 and 11.3 repos on my Arch server which is what got me started down this
path to begin with.

When I pop my other drive back in the laptop, I'll shoot you a copy with good
urls. (I think you can use the ones in the link, you just have to changee the
char to either a '-' or '_' IIRC.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC