[arch-general] Question about pacman and installing Gnome

Guillaume ALAUX guillaume at alaux.net
Mon Oct 4 12:41:20 EDT 2010

On 4 October 2010 18:35, Christian <christian08 at runbox.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> On 2010-10-04 at 17:34 Guillaume ALAUX wrote:
>
>>On 4 October 2010 17:15, Christian <christian08 at runbox.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I had to do a reinstall of my machine so I did that and for some reason,
>>Gnome doesn't start proprely. I am visually impaired so I can't see the
>>screen until I have logged into Gnome and started Orca, the screen reader
>>for Gnome.
>>> Here is what I do.
>>> pacman -S xorg xf86-video-ati xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse gnome
>>gnome-extra gnome-system-tools
>>> Then I did:
>>> pacman -S gamin
>>> pacman -S gdm
>>> I have however got a protocol error so I had to restart some of the
>>downloads above, but will pacman check the packages so that they are
>>completely downloaded?
>>> Anyway, I then did:
>>> /etc/rc.d/hal start
>>> /etc/rc.d/gdm start and I did all of this as root.
>>> Then I can read that the screen goes into the graphical environment
>>since BRLTTY and Speakup, the console screen readers tell me that.
>>> I wait for about 30 seconds before I login as my user but nothing
>>happens when I press enter after I have entered my password.
>>> Have I missed something?
>>> This is like I did before.
>>> I have added my user to the video group as well as the others
>>recommended on the beginners guide.
>>> Any thoughts?
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Christian
>>>

>>> will pacman check the packages so that they are completely downloaded?
>>Yes pacman checks md5sums
>>
>>I don't know if this is related but I noticed since the last gnome
>>update that when gdm displays the list of usernames, you can't select
>>the first one by just pressing enter. That used to work and was very
>>handy cause you didn't have to grab the mouse : wait for gdm to start
>>then press enter, the password, enter again and there you were. Maybe
>>you are just stuck at the user list ?!
>>
>>--
>>Guillaume
>
> Yes, that's maybe correct. Since I am th eonly user how do I select the only user, I can't just press enter twice and then enter my password?
> I will try also the auto logon thing.
> Many thanks,
> Christian

On my other Arch I have a GDM panel configuration that I can get
through the gnome-control-center and that enables you to automatically
login with a user (I can't figure out where I got it and it's not
installed on this one here). Maybe it can select a login name to. I
think that is pretty much what Paulo explained on a previous email but
the "CLI way".