[arch-general] Creation of startup scripts

Jeremiah Dodds jeremiah.dodds at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 08:59:36 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Christian <christian08 at runbox.com> wrote:

> I want to start my programs at boot time from /etc/rc.d
> OK i will read up on bash scripting then and see what I can come up with!
> I just want to understand what certain things mean and if I can leave them
> out or not when I copy and use other scripts to stat programs.
> Christian

man bash, and read the existing init scripts. the stuff in arch is, as far
as i've seen, clean and well commented. bash scripting has a lot of quirky
little edge areas though, so it can be hard to ease into. Chapters 7-9 of
http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz and the whole of
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/ helped me out when I was starting to get into
bash scripting. that was back in 2002 or so, so there may be better
resources available.

oh, and don't expect to read all of the bash man page at once. it's huge,
and filled with all kinds of treasure.

tinker, and don't be afraid to break things! (you may want to make sure you
won't be losing anything hugely important before not fearing breakage ... ).
you'll wake up one day and realize you're the master of your machine, and a
glorious day it will be.