[arch-general] some notes on the radeon gallium driver

Stephen E. Baker baker.stephen.e at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 09:05:16 EDT 2010

> My understanding is that r300g is the new default in Mesa 7.9. See
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mesa-commit@lists.freedesktop.org/msg23390.html
> . Does this mean that Arch will automatically switch to it on release
> of Mesa or will extra steps be required?

As I understand it the PKGBUILD will also have to be altered.  The
driver will be built by default but not installed to
"/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/" as mentioned by Stafano.  The purpose of
having both drivers built is so that one could experiment with the
gallium driver with export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH = ... before executing
particular opengl programs without switching outright.

I've been doing this for a couple weeks now with the git version of
just the r300g driver running with Arch's packaged mesa 7.8 and have
found that it has fixed all the bugs I was having in Neverwinter
Nights and eduke32 with no new problems besides the occasional
stuttering when fps drops too low.  I would vote for making it the
default in Arch with mesa 7.9.