[arch-general] some notes on the radeon gallium driver

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Wed Oct 6 15:06:56 EDT 2010

 On 06.10.2010 19:39, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Tom <uebershark at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm seconding this. r300g is working exceptionally well compared to
>>> r300 and it is very stable even with lots of 3D stuff and wine games.
>>> I'd definitely want this to be the default in Arch. Perhaps we should
>>> file a bug report. In fact, I will file one if we  can get a few more
>>> opinions on this.
>>>
>>> I think it would be a very beneficial idea for Arch users.
>>>
>>> -- Sven-Hendrik
>> Well is there any reason this should NOT be made default once Arch
>> updates to Mesa 7.9 if it IS the default in new mesa??
>> Why would/should arch differ?
> i wouldn't think so.
>
>> Sidenote: been running r300g for ages, no worries...
> that's great news, along with other positive feedback.  this whole
> message is rather devoid of new content, but it's really wonderful to
> see Gallium reaching fruition; it's been a long wait and it seems to
> really be living up to it's promises.
>
> haven't tried the Gallium driver for my 4850 (if one is ready-ish?),
> but this thread is very encouraging.  especially interesting is the
> recent port of the Direct3D API to a native state tracker (i think
> that's the right terms)... Linux gaming may just force it's way into
> existence, vs. the perpetual wait for vendor support :-)
>
> C Anthony

Careful, r600g (for your mighty fine 4850) does not currently do what
you think. In fact, upstream currently and openly discourages its usage
for anything but shy testing. It might eat your babies if used for
production.

Double careful with the hopes for D3D used in Linux gaming. It is
effectively useless for Wine since their current implementation
integrates better with the other needs of a Windows game (Windows API !=
Direct3D). Even if a perfect, full-blown D3D 13 implementation went into
Mesa, you couldn't run a single Windows game because of that. D3D on
Linux is primarily meant for close-to-metal 3D virtualization (which in
return would enable you gaming, though, but in a VM). Wine isn't going
to switch to Mesa's implementation anytime soon.

So for now: r300g with wine (works awesome here).

-- Sven-Hendrik