[arch-general] umount usb stick via udev
Jan de Groot
jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Oct 7 14:52:29 EDT 2010
On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 12:00 -0600, Sergey Manucharian wrote:
> Thunar depends on HAL, so probably it is not correct to use it without
> HAL, and the following is from http://thunar.xfce.org "Use the correct
> HAL property to determine
> whether a given volume or device requires eject"
It can be used without hal, but not in the way that you can unplug a
device without unmounting it. There's some technological difference
between unplugging with and without hal.
- device mounted
- thunar open
- device ejected without unmount
- hal receives uevents and knows the device is dead
- hal tells thunar that device is dead
- thunar (and other hal or udisks-enabled programs) tries to close all
references to the mountpoint
- hal unmounts the dead device
Now if you do that without hal, the point where hal detects that the
device is dead and thunar getting to know that has to be done by
yourself. If you forget that, you're screwed.
More information about the arch-general