[arch-general] Gnome question (that is unanswered on the gnome mailinglist)

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Oct 18 06:56:15 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:37, Peter Lewis <plewis at aur.archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Monday 18 October 2010 at 07:48 Magnus Therning wrote:
>> I thought I'd try my luck on here, even though this is a rather
>> Gnome-specific question:
>>
>> In the past I've been using seahorse to provide both a gpg agent and
>> an ssh agent.  Recently I noticed that gnome-keyring-daemon provides
>> both of those agents.  I must say though that it seems to be very
>> flaky.
>>
>> I'll switch back to using seahorse for now, but I'm still wondering
>> why it is that there are two Gnome components with so much overlapping
>> functionality.
>> Will one replace the other?
>
> I don't use GNOME and my info might be out of date, but my understanding was
> that seahorse is replacing gnome-keyring for everything.

That's what I thought as well, but gnome-keyring-daemon can still be
configured to provide both types of agents, and it does so by default
after the latest upgrade.  The bad bit is that it is crap at it!

Anyway, for now I'll disable the agents from gnome-keyring and make
sure seahorse is started on login instead.

/M

--
Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org