[arch-general] Setuptools broken?

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 19 19:37:23 EDT 2010

On 20 October 2010 07:25, Norbert Zeh <nzeh at cs.dal.ca> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> With the python upgrade from 2.7 to 3.1, I ran into the following snag.
> gitosis from AUR depends on python and setuptools.  Now, python =
> python3.1 now and setuptools installs in the python2.7 library tree.
> This was easy enough to fix, by simply replacing python with python2 in
> the gitosis PKGBUILD.  However, I would expect that python2 will
> disappear completely somewhere down the road.  What then?  Moreover,
> being a purist, I would like to avoid having two python versions
> installed on my machine.  So what's the deal with python3.1 and
> setuptools?  Is the procedure for installing python packages different
> under 3.1 than under the old 2.x series, and there simply are no
> setuptools any more?  If that's the case, I guess it's the
> responsibility of package maintainers to migrate to the setup used in
> python3.1.  If setuptools is still what is needed in python3.1,
> shouldn't there now be two packages setuptools and setuptools2 that
> install in the library trees of python3.1 and python2.7, respectively?
> (I'm happy to file a bug report if this is indeed a bug.)

Python 3 should be using distribute [1] instead of setuptools. Either
way, you don't need to worry. Most software still require Python 2,
and by the time we do drop python2, everything should be working.

You can avoid installing python for now if you don't have anything
that can depend on it ("Required by"):

http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/python/

[1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute