[arch-general] Python 3 Rationale?

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Tue Oct 19 20:18:49 EDT 2010

Andrea Scarpino [2010.10.20 0201 +0200]:
> On Wednesday 20 October 2010 01:47:20 Max Countryman wrote:
> > I'm curious what the rationale is behind changing the default to Python 3?
> >
> > My understanding is that many libraries are not yet available on Python 3.
> > As a developer, this could make life difficult.
>
> You should read Allan's post[1]
>
> [1] http://allanmcrae.com/2010/10/big-python-transition-in-arch-linux/

Thanks, Andrea and Ray.  So it seems that everybody involved in this is
aware that this is a long process with some glitches like the one I
observed along the way, and I agree with Allan that the rationale behind
the move is consistent with arch's focus on bleeding edge.

Cheers,
Norbert