[arch-general] Python 3 Rationale?

Daenyth Blank daenyth+arch at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 20:40:20 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 20:36, Max Countryman <maxc at me.com> wrote:

>> It seems that while most (all?) distributions include a /usr/bin/python3 link to their python3.xbinary, none do the same thing for python2.x. Either create your own symlink in your path for those distros or even better file a bug with them asking for such a symlink. They are going to need one in the future…
>

> I wanted to also clarify something or ask if someone could possibly clarify for me: where has it been established that Python 3 will become the replacement for the default Python binary? Is there a possibility that the standard convention might become python and python3 as binaries, where python is 2.7.x and python3 is the latest release of 3? I'm sure that this has already been discussed elsewhere or within the Python community itself, so if anyone could just point me in the direction I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

http://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3
"At the time of writing (July 4, 2010), the final 2.7 release is out,
with a statement of extended support for this end-of-life release. The
2.x branch will see no new major releases after that. 3.x is under
active and continued development, with 3.1 already available and 3.2
due for release around the turn of the year.

3.x is the newest branch of Python and the intended future of the language."