[arch-general] Python 3 Rationale?

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Wed Oct 20 10:32:05 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Max Countryman <maxc at me.com> wrote:

> But is that what Python development has decided?

I'm not sure what they have recommended.  Ultimately it's up to the
distros to decide such things; I have seen that written more then once
by BFDL and friends.

I think what Arch is doing is perfectly reasonable; if you, as a
developer, or even a user, run the `python` binary, you should not
expect any assurances, as you are making assumptions about the target
environment.  If your app requires a particular major or minor version
to operate correctly, then make this clear in the shebang, throw an
exception, etc... imo, catering to sluggish apps that are not py3k
compatible and not active enough to even acknowledge the onset of
py3k, is a waste of time.

C Anthony