[arch-general] Python 3 Rationale?

Dr. Robert Marmorstein robert at narnia.homeunix.com
Wed Oct 20 00:23:31 EDT 2010

Just a little story that is relevant to this discussion....

I ran into a problem with python and proprietary software earlier today, but
was able (through much tribulaton) to work around it.  Even after most open-
source code is using python 3, a lot of proprietary stuff may still depend on
python 2 and it won't be easy to switch it.  This is something we may want to
consider before we retire python2 altogether.

I was setting up a new printer (an HP Laserjet p1120w) which works with hplip,
but requires a proprietary plugin from HP's server.  The hp-toolbox and hp-
plugin utilities that are the interface finstalling the proprietary plugin are
both written in python (with a lot of shell script mixed in for good measure).

The PKGBUILD for hplip seems to do the right thing in that it uses python2 to
execute the hp-toolbox code.  But the plugin itself arrives as a self-
extracting executable that unpacks a python2 script which it executes using
the system python (i.e. python3 on my system).  This caused the installer to
crash, preventing me from installing the printer driver.

Furthermore, after an unsuccessful install, the archive deletes itself and any
of the files that were in it.

Fortuately, I discovered that if you extract the plugin-archive by hand (you
have to wget it first), it provides a compile flag that waits for user input
after extraction, but before installation.  I was able to access the extracted
plugin install script and replace "python" with "python2".

I managed to get the printer installed and set up (and print my lecture notes
just in time for class) without any further problems.