[arch-general] Python 3 Rationale?

Armando M. Baratti ambaratti.listas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 09:45:07 EDT 2010

Em 20-10-2010 13:21, Daenyth Blank escreveu:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:16, Armando M. Baratti
> <ambaratti.listas at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Em 20-10-2010 05:24, Stefano Z. escreveu:
>>>
>>> anyone know if reportlab does work with python3 ?
>>>

>> No, reportlab doesn't work with python3.
>> Neither Django, nor Twisted.
>>
>> As well the modules below are incompatible with python3 (to mention a few):
>> - PyGTK2
>> - Pyjamas
>> - Kiwi
>> - Beaker
>> - Cheetah
>> - CherryPy
>> - nose
>> - Paste
>> - numpy
>> - PyChecker
>> - pycrypto
>> - egenix utilities (used by many db connectors)
>> - psycopg
>> - couchdbkit
>> - Elixir
>> - MySQL-python
>> - PyMySQL
>> - PyDB2
>>
>> And many, many more.
>> It'll be a long time for many of these modules be converted (rewritten in
>> some cases) to python3.
>>
>> It was a smart move from the standpoint of package management, but from the
>> point of view of a developer...
>>
>> Armando
>>

> You do realize that python 2 is not being taken away, right?

Yes, off course I do. But I also realize that, besides Python isn't the
easiest platform to deploy to, specially when your customers aren't tech
savvy and have to make some adjustment or install some module, we end
with incompatible platforms for development (Arch Linux, that uses
python3 by default) and deployment (some other distro that uses python2).
This isn't the end of the world, by adds to the things that contribute
for the appearing of problems on the deploying (specially on rather
larger ones).

Armando