[arch-general] makepkg not working in chrooted environment

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Thu Oct 21 18:46:55 EDT 2010

Norbert Zeh [2010.10.21 1857 -0300]:
> Ionuț Bîru [2010.10.22 0017 +0300]:
> > On 10/22/2010 12:07 AM, Norbert Zeh wrote:
> > >Hi folks,
> > >
> > >I am running a 32-bit chroot on my 64-bit system, and I'm trying to
> > >build a few packages from AUR inside the 32-bit chroot.  When I run
> > >makepkg inside the chroot, it complains about dependencies not being
> > >satisfied, even though the dependencies are installed inside the chroot
> > >(and in the 64-bit environment, as well).  So I'm wondering why it
> > >doesn't find the dependencies.  I'd love to get this to work and also
> > >wouldn't mind helping with debugging this.  I just need a few pointers
> > >what I would have to look for.
> > >
> > >Cheers,
> > >Norbert
> > >

> > linux32 chroot /path/to/bla
>
> This I did do, and it fails in the chroot, but I'll certainly follow the
> pointers below and the one Andrea gave.  Thanks for the response.

Before trying to go down the path of using a separate chroot just for
building packages from AUR (as suggested by the wiki references you and
Andrea gave), I dug a little deeper into where my problem came from.  It
turns out that pacman would find the installed packages if run inside
the chroot as root but not if run as an unprivileged users (such as the
one I normally use to build packages).  The culprit was too restrictive
restrictions on /var/lib/pacman and the files therein.  Changed the
permissions, and all worked beautifully by just running makepkg inside
the chroot.

Cheers,
Norbert