[arch-general] Question about installing libraries

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Thu Oct 21 19:36:57 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 01:26:37AM +0200, Christian wrote:
> Many thanks, will have a look.
> But lets say I can't find a particular library and I only have a .deb file with it, what to do then?

You can write a PKGBUILD that automates the process of unpacking the
".deb" package and installing the libraries into "/usr/lib/". If you
build and install a package (e.g. using `makepkg -i`) instead of copying
them manually, all libraries will be tracked by pacman(8).

If you never created a PKGBUILD before, you might wanna read something
about it in the wiki ([1], [2]). If you want an example how to do create
a package suitable for installation with pacman(8) from a dpkg, you can
check [1] (even tho this PKGBUILD isn't the best I've ever seen).

[1] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_Packages
[2] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards