[arch-general] New nvidia driver - video mode not recognized - remove vga= from kernel line?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Oct 27 22:36:52 EDT 2010

Guys,

	To add to the nvidia issues, after update to the latest driver (nvidia
260.19.12-1) the machine stops during boot due to (Invalid video mode, press
enter to see list....)

	Pressing enter then lists the available modes. However, when I enter one of the
listed modes, it is rejected and I get prompted again with the (Invalid video
mode, press enter to see list....).

	I don't know whether this is a bug, a KMS thing, or what, but I have never had
any problems passing vga=0x31a on the kernel line with the nvidia driver before.
(I know with ATI, KMS early is recommended, and no vga= on the kernel line)

	Is anybody else seeing this? Should I just remove the vga= line?

	After letting the (Invalid video mode, press enter to see list....) prompt
time-out, it all continues fine and the nvidia driver loads without issue. What
say the experts?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC