[arch-general] A question about running Proftpd

Cédric Girard girard.cedric at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 09:18:10 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Christian <christian08 at runbox.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Have just installed ProfTPD and if I run /etc/rc.d/proftpd start as root it
> stats just fine.
> In /etc/proftpd.conf it says to run the server as the group nobody and the
> user nobody. I am just wondering what system level it's running on? Is the
> server now running as root or what privilegies does it have to the system?
> I suppose it is not running as the root user then?
> Many thanks for any info,
> Christian

"ps aux | grep proftpd" will tell you which user is running proftpd.
As stated in the conf file, it should drop privileges on start to run as the
user currently configured in this file. And it does that. Here is the output
of ps:

nobody   19657  0.0  0.0  49924  1964 ?        Ss   15:17   0:00 proftpd:
(accepting connections)

--
Cédric Girard