[arch-general] New nvidia driver - video mode not recognized - remove vga= from kernel line?

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Thu Oct 28 19:43:48 EDT 2010

Am Thu, 28 Oct 2010 18:03:09 -0500
schrieb "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>:

> 	Also, on the (press enter or scan issue), I'm sure you are
> 100% correct Heiko, but no matter whether I press enter or issue scan
> with this 8800GT, the list of modes returned is the same. Also, both
> enter or scan take the same amount of time to complete -- at least on
> this box.
>
> 	If the proprietary driver doesn't support KMS and isn't going
> to for a while, then I wonder what changed to make my normal kernel
> line (that I've used for years) suddenly start causing the invalid
> mode error? The kernel line is:
>
> kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/mapper/nvidia_baaccajap5 ro vga=0x31a
>
> 	As a test, I booted LTS with the vga=0x31a and it booted fine
> and into the correct framebuffer. So this is looking more and more
> kernel related.

Have you tried to change vga=0x31a to a value which is shown when you
enter scan on the prompt? If not, please, do so. And, please, enter
"scan" and not only press Enter.

Have you added nomodeset to the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst? If
not, please, do so.

This has nothing to do with the nvidia and nouveau driver, because at
this time there are no modules loaded.

Please, add both kernel parameters vga= with a valid value and
nomodeset to the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

This line has to look like this:
kernel   /vmlinuz26 ... nomodeset ... vga=...

> 	I have also booted Arch without vga= in the kernel line and I
> do NOT get the invalid mode prompt, but then I'm left with a 640x480
> framebuffer. That looks terrible on a 23" display.

If you don't add the vga parameter to the kernel line you don't get a
framebuffer probably except if you are using KMS.

Heiko