[arch-general] Hard disc clicks

János Illés ijanos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 10:54:50 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 15:54, Rafael Beraldo
<rafaelluisberaldo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I added hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda to /etc/rc.local, but I don't know if it is a
> good solution either. Anyway, as Isaac Dupree said, unfortunatelly there is
> no intermediate setting, then it is best not to have anoying and (I think)
> dangerous clicks.

It is dangerous. I got a new HDD killed in 3 weeks, the clicks
happened more and more often and after a while, the driver started to
produce read errors. I thought that the drive was faulty and got it
replaced in warranty. After the replacement drive also produced the
clicks I found out about the whole hdparm thing, set the value to 254
and the drive is working fine for almost 3 years now.

--
ijanos