[arch-general] sudoers file change - not much on dev list - reason for changes?

Mario Figueiredo mario.figueiredo at quiettech.org
Tue Sep 7 22:25:23 EDT 2010

  On 07-09-2010 20:19, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Thanks guys,
>
>     I guess I'll transition to sudo from wheel or just implement the
> sudo group in addition to wheel so I can use it in the future changing
> a decade+ of mental inertia that says wheel. It is funny how we really
> are creatures of habit :p

I confess I'm baffled as to why upstream did this change, why it was
needed and if it actually was needed.
I can't seem to find anything about it in the online changelog either.
Seems something completely arbitrary. Or an oversight. Or a mistake.

As far as users (administrators) are concerned, the wheel group can be
named anything and nobody will care. Those who still want to use the
name "wheel" just need to change the sudoers file. And that's why this
change was so unnecessary. An historic and innocuous reference is lost
to one arbitrary decision. And with it the need to rewrite manuals,
tutorials, and any other reference mater